Use the materials below to build knowledge and support schools with providing eﬀective and high-quality instruction for all students, and in particular, English Language Learners.
Check Me Out First!
- Principles for ELL Instruction Understanding Language: Understanding Language’s resource helps ELLs meet rigorous, grade level academic standards.
- The Stages of Second Language Acquisition ASCD: Provides a description of each stage of second language acquisition along with appropriate prompts & questions.
- Supporting ALL Learners with Complex Texts SAP: Scaﬀolds and strategies for supporting vocabulary development and accessing complex text.
- Realizing Opportunities for English Learners in the Common Core English Language Arts and Disciplinary Literacy Standards Understanding Language: Focuses on complex texts; evidence based writing, speaking and listening, and vocabulary development.
- Taking the Pulse ELSF: This tool poses reﬂection questions to support schools in considering how engaged students are with instructional materials.
- Supporting English Language Learners: An Annotated Bibliography SAP: Outline of research and criteria that have inﬂuenced SAP’s approach to supporting ELLs. (verbal overview)
- Phonics for Second Language Learners Shanahan : This blog addresses the need for phonics instruction for ELLs in 1st and 2nd grade.
- A Framework for Raising Expectations and Instructional Rigor for English Language Learners Council of the Great City Schools: Criteria for schools to determine whether instructional materials are appropriate for ELLs and are consistent with standards.
- A Framework for Re-envisioning Mathematics Instruction for English Language Learners Council of the Great City Schools: Deﬁnes a new vision for mathematics instruction that explicitly attends to the needs of ELLs.
- Creating and Sequencing Text-Dependent Questions to Support English Language Learners SAP: A strategy to support ELLs in accessing complex texts.
- What’s Language Got to Do With It? Identifying Language Demands in Mathematics Instruction for English Language Learners: A selected chapter from the book by Ramirez & Celedon-Pattichis.
- Supporting ELL Students: A school leader in Western Massachusetts shares her thoughts on how her school supports ELLs.
- Grade 4 ELA Reading Closely and Inferring the Mood RL.4.3, RL.4.1
- Common Core Videos and Lesson Plan Colorín Colorado: These classroom videos standards aligned instruction with ELLS across all grades. in elementary, middle, and high school.
- Understanding Language Learners: Teacher Resources (ELA) Understanding Language: This 11 minute overview of the implementation of ELA Unit includes informative voice overs by George Bunch (University of California, Santa Cruz) and Aida Walqui (WestEd).
- Language, Literacy and Learning in the Content Areas Videos Understanding Language: These papers and videos address language and literacy issues found within the CCSS.The papers and videos are organized into three topics: Practice in the Content Areas, Language and Literacy, Policy and System Capacity.
- Helping English Learners Find Their Voice: Making Complex Texts Accessible to English Learners Great Minds: This webinar focuses on how to eﬀectively scaﬀold and support ELLs in accessing complex, knowledge-building texts to develop literacy and language skills.
Instructional Scaﬀolds & Supports
- Can Do Descriptors WIDA: This list highlights what language learners can do at various stages of language development as they engage in their language development.
- English Learners Success Forum Resources ELSF: A library of resources for creating or adapting instructional materials that meet the needs of ELLs.
- Compelling Digital Lessons for English Learners SAP: How to use the free WriteReader app to support ELLs.
- Support English Language Learners: English Language Arts Supports EL Education: Explores ways to provide instructional support for ELLs, using the California state framework as an example.
- Scaﬀolds to Support English Language Learners in Writing and Discussion SAP : Strategies include sentence frames, signal words, and word banks.
- Academic Word Finder SAP: Helps identify high value words from academic texts and now features guidance on using the word lists produced by the tool to support ELLs.
- Decodable Readers Protocol SAP: Supports & scaﬀolds for repeated reads of a complex text.
- ELL & Arts NYTimes: Resources for teaching ELLs using New York Times content.
- Examples of Instructional Routines & Mathematics Language Routines SAP: These evidence-based routines were designed to allow ELLs to develop their language skills while simultaneously engaging in grade-level mathematics. (ANet deck with each routine)
Instructional Frameworks & Guidelines
- English Language Proﬁciency Standards (ELP) CCSSO: These K-12 standards highlight critical language, knowledge, and skills using language that are in college-and-career-ready standards and that are necessary for ELLs to be successful in schools.
- 12 Key Practices — Implementing Eﬀective Instruction for ELLs Wagner & King: A framework for shared practices at the district, school, and classroom levels.
- Scaﬀolding Instruction for ELLs: Resource Guide for ELA and Mathematics EngageNY: Guidance for educators on how to take the curriculum materials from EngageNY and provide additional scaﬀolds for ELLs according to their level of English language proﬁciency.
- Using Content and Language Objectives to Help All Students in Their Learning SAP: Strategies from an English Language Learner Specialist.
- Teaching Academic Content and Literacy to English Learners in Elementary and Middle School Institute of Education Sciences: This guide provides four recommendations that address what works for English learners during reading and content area instruction. Includes activities, examples, and research.
- Guidelines for Improving English Language Arts Materials for English Learners ELSF: Includes speciﬁc guidance for content development on key areas of English language development that must be embedded across a curricula, in units, and in lessons so that ELLs can access and engage in grade-level content.
- A Teacher’s Guide to the Common Core: A Resource Guide for Success in English Language Arts for Teachers who Work with English Learners and Students with Disabilities American Federation of Teachers: Written to engage educators in professional dialogues and practices to gain a deeper understanding of the shifts and how they apply to ELLs and students with disabilities.
- Guidelines for Improving Math Materials for English Learners ELSF: Includes speciﬁc guidance for content development on key areas of English language development that must be embedded across a curricula, in units, and in lessons so that ELLs can access and engage in grade-level content.
- Supporting ELLs in Math Understanding Language: These materials, including annotated math tasks, illustrate how Common Core aligned tasks can be used to support math instruction and language development for ELLs at three grade spans (elementary, middle, and high school).
Disclaimer: Many of these links take you to external organizations. It is your responsibility to ensure you comply with any copyright or permissions restrictions before using these materials.